9am to 5pm Thursday 9th May & 9am- 4pm Friday 10th May, 2019
Registration has now closed. If you wish to receive notifications about the next event in December 2019, please e-mail email@example.com
Venue: Istanbul Aydın University English Preparatory School, Bahçelievler Mah. Adnan Kahveci Bulv. (Eski Londra Asf Cd) No 78, Yayla, Bahçelievler, İstanbul. (Tel. 0212 4426160. Ext. 61334)
Theme: Realistic Curriculum Goals: Where are we now and where do we want to be?
Although maybe each institution may have a different label for them (e.g. exit-level descriptors, over all learning outcomes, end goals etc…), it is important that the curriculum of an English language preparatory programme explicitly states the specific academic skills and language abilities successful students are expected to display, i.e. the overall goals of the programme.
- What role do (or should?) outside factors (e.g. CEFRL, YOK etc) play in the setting of these goals?
- How realistic are these goals, given the constraints of a one-year programme and the available resources? What should we do if we feel these are too idealistic, complex or unachievable?
- What are the “ideal” goals for a successful one-year prep programme and how can a curriculum team go about determining these?
- How can we be sure that we are attaining these goals?
- How can we ensure that level-specific objectives feed into these programme goals?
This FOCI event will be an opportunity for participants to share their experience of, and discuss issues related to these issues. The intention is that participants will come away with some concrete ideas of how to achieve clear and realistic overall goals for their programmes
The forum will take an informal and hands-on approach to the practical “nitty-gritty” of curriculum work aiming to complement the formal presentation of papers or workshops to be found at other professional gatherings such as conferences, seminars and workshops. It is intended that participants will come away from the Forum with concrete examples of how other institutions have responded to the challenges raised by the theme. This will involve whole-group discussion and smaller groups focusing on particular areas who will then present to the whole group. The topics for the smaller focus groups’ discussion will be decided from suggestions made by participants on the registration form.
• In order to ensure efficient and focused discussion and an informal atmosphere, places are limited to ONE representative from each institution. We hope that you will understand the necessity for this.
• The representative should be a member of a syllabus or curriculum team, or other teacher who is actively involved in curricular development, rather than an administrator.
• If interest exceeds capacity, places are allocated randomly from applications received by the closing date, maintaining a range of different types of university and geographical spread in order to ensure the widest variety of perspectives.
• There is no fee. Refreshments and lunch are provided free of charge.
• The language of the forum is English.
• The deadline for registration is Friday 8th March 2019.
For enquiries contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
TRANSPORT: For more info click here
ACCOMMODATION: Unfortunately we are not able to organise accommodation, but these are some possibilities close to the campus:
· Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel, Istanbul
E-5 Karayolu, 20 Kucukcekmece Kartaltepe Mahallesi 34295, 34
- Ramada Hotel & Suites Atakoy
Ataköy 1. Mahallesi, Otel Ramada, Fişekhane Cd. 9/1, 34158 Bakırköy/İstanbul
- Bahçelievler Abidin Pak Öğretmenevi (Teachers’ Lodge) (Within walking distance – 15 minutes) Bahçelievler Mahallesi, Talatpaşa Cd No:38, 34180 Bahçelievler/İstanbul ,
Phone: (0212) 502 24 11
- WOW Istanbul Hotel: (Very close to the airport – 5 minutes)
Yeşilköy Mahallesi, Atatürk Cd. No:15 – 17 – 19, 34149 Bakırköy/İstanbul.
Phone: (0212) 468 50 00