9am to 5pm Thursday 6th & 9am- 4pm Friday 7th December, 2018
Venue: Yabancı Diller Yüksekokulu, Ege Universitesi Kampüs, Bornova – İzmir
Theme: Assessment from a Curriculum Developer’s Perspective: the Who? What? When? and Why?
Having created the best possible curriculum to meet the needs of our students, how can we, as curriculum developers, ensure that the assessment of learners’ progress and performance is in line with the goals of the curriculum?
How can we ensure the process of testing successfully meets the objectives set out by a level, or the end goals of a programme?
What form does or should our relationship with assessment teams take?
Would it be more advantageous to have a joint ‘Curriculum-Assessment’ team and what are the experiences of institutions which have implemented this?
How can we ensure that both teams are ‘pulling’ in same direction?
How can we avoid an exam-driven curriculum? Is the “tail wagging the dog”? Is there a danger of “putting the cart before the horse”?
Rather than getting into the specifics of test-writing, implementation and other aspects of assessment per se, this FOCI event will focus through the eyes of the curriculum developer on these questions and other issues directly related to the impact of assessment on our curricula such as:
• Exam previewing
• Assessment weightings and specifications
• Standardisation of exams, quizzes or other types of assessment
• Achieving beneficial washback on the curriculum from assessment and testing
• Assessment rubrics/criteria
The forum will take an informal and hands-on approach to the practical “nitty-gritty” of curriculum work aiming to complement the formal presentation of papers or workshops to be found at other professional gatherings such as conferences, seminars and workshops. It is intended that participants will come away from the Forum with concrete examples of how other institutions have responded to the challenges raised by the theme. This will involve whole-group discussion and smaller groups focusing on particular areas who will then present to the whole group. The topics for the smaller focus groups’ discussion will be decided from suggestions made by participants on the registration form.
• In order to ensure efficient and focused discussion and an informal atmosphere, places are limited to ONE representative from each institution. We hope that you will understand the necessity for this.
• The representative should be a member of a syllabus or curriculum team, or other teacher who is actively involved in curricular development, rather than an administrator.
• If interest exceeds capacity, places are allocated randomly from applications received by the closing date, maintaining a range of different types of university and geographical spread in order to ensure the widest variety of perspectives.
• There is no fee. Refreshments and lunch are provided free of charge.
• The language of the forum is English.
• The deadline for registration is Friday 5th October 2018.
For enquiries contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
To register: The deadline for registration is Friday 5th October 2018. To register download and complete this form and send to fociturkey@gmail by the deadline.
TRANSPORT: For more info click here
Unfortunately we are not able to organise accommodation but two possibilities close to the venue are given below:
Ege University Guesthouse
Located on the campus, all the rooms at the guesthouse have an air-conditioner, shower, mini-bar, and TV set. EU Guest House is within easy reach of the event venue (5-minute walk).
– Single room per night: 100 TRL (Breakfast included)
Double room per night: 180 TRL (Breakfast included)
– For public servants;
Single room per night: 90 TRL (Breakfast included)
Double room per night: 165 TRL (Breakfast included)
Phone: +90 232 3881447
For more information, please visit: http://sksdb.ege.edu.tr/1661/konukevi.html
Anemon Ege Hotel
Located on the campus, Anemon Ege Hotel is within easy reach of the event venue (10-minute walk).
Special Price for the event.
Single room per night: 190 TRL (Breakfast included)
Double room per night: 250 TRL (Breakfast included)
Phone: +90 232 3734862
For more information, please visit: http://www.anemonhotels.com/otel-izmir/anemon-ege.aspx