AIMS OF THE FORUM
The forum was set up by the Curriculum Team of Sabancı University School of Languages in May 2010 for representatives from the curriculum teams of a range of foundation/preparatory programmes preparing students for their academic studies in English. The forum provides an opportunity for different state, foundation and private universities within the Turkish context to come together:
- to discuss issues of concern in the areas of needs analysis, syllabus writing, implementation, and programme evaluation;
- to share experiences and ideas relevant to curricular issues from their diverse contexts;
- to raise mutual awareness of the activities and approaches to curriculum issues in other programmes;
- to build relationships and links between the curriculum teams in different institutions.
RATIONALE OF THE FORUM
- The FOCI project holds regular twice-yearly two-day events in May and December;
- FOCI events are hosted by different universities inTurkeyandNorthern Cyprus;
- Events are organised by the FOCI Organising Team which is comprised of members from Sabanci University School of Languages and two other universities, in collaboration with the host institutions;
- The forum takes an informal and hands-on approach to the practical “nitty-gritty” of curriculum work aiming to complement the formal presentation of papers or workshops to be found at other professional gatherings such as conferences, seminars and workshops;
- FOCI events are aimed at members of syllabus or curriculum teams or teachers interested in curricular development rather than administrators;
- Events focus on issues related to foundation/preparatory programmes rather than Freshman or other faculty courses.
- In order to ensure efficient and focused discussion and an informal atmosphere, places are limited to one representative from each institution.
- The representative should be a member of a syllabus or curriculum team, or other teacher who is involved in curricular development.
- If interest exceeds capacity, places are allocated randomly from applications received by the closing date, maintaining a range of different types of university and geographical spread in order to ensure the widest variety of perspectives.
- There is no fee. Refreshments and lunch are provided free of charge.
- The language of the forum is English.