FOCI-XVII@ ISTANBUL MEDIPOL UNIVERSITY
9am to 5pm Thursday 10th & 9am- 4pm Friday 11th May, 2018
Venue: Istanbul Medipol University Kavacik Campus, Kavacık Mah. Ekinciler Cad. No.19, Kavacık Kavşağı, 34810, Beykoz, İstanbul (Click here for details)
Theme: Action Research and Curriculum Development: Implications and Possibilities
The action research cycle of questioning, data-gathering, reflection and taking action has long been proposed as a model for developing our own teaching. Maybe this can also be beneficial as a more adaptive and flexible way to approach the task of curriculum development as a complement to full-scale and less frequent needs-analysis process.
- How can an action research approach contribute to curriculum development work?
- What benefits does it have?
- To what extent have other institutions undertaken this sort of research into the implementation of their curriculum?
- Can this be an effective way to engage teachers more in the process of curricular development?
- How should such an approach be set up?
This event will be a chance for participants to share research projects carried out in their own institution, for hands-on planning of action research projects and for discussion about how an action research approach might be of use to Curriculum Teams.
The forum will take an informal and hands-on approach to the practical “nitty-gritty” of curriculum work aiming to complement the formal presentation of papers or workshops to be found at other professional gatherings such as conferences, seminars and workshops. It is intended that participants will come away from the Forum with concrete examples of how other institutions have responded to the challenges raised by the theme. This will involve whole-group discussion and smaller groups focusing on particular areas who will then present to the whole group. The topics for the smaller focus groups’ discussion will be decided from suggestions made by participants on the registration form.
• In order to ensure efficient and focused discussion and an informal atmosphere, places are limited to ONE representative from each institution. We hope that you will understand the necessity for this.
• The representative should be a member of a syllabus or curriculum team, or other teacher who is actively involved in curricular development, rather than an administrator.
• If interest exceeds capacity, places are allocated randomly from applications received by the closing date, maintaining a range of different types of university and geographical spread in order to ensure the widest variety of perspectives.
• There is no fee. Refreshments and lunch are provided free of charge.
• The language of the forum is English.
• The deadline for registration is Friday 2nd March 2018.
For enquiries contact: email@example.com
To register: The deadline for registration is Friday 2nd March 2018. Click to register.
Transport: Information will be send to participants nearer the time. The University Campus is at the Kavacik intersection on the E5 road (buses crossing the Fatih Sultan Mehmet Bridge and the Havabus from Sabiha Gokcen Aiport stop there).
Accommodation: Unfortunately we are not able to provide accommodation.