FOCI-XVI@ TOBB UNIVERSITY OF ECONOMICS & TECHNOLOGY Ankara
9:30am to 5pm Thursday 21st & 9am- 4pm Friday 22nd December, 2017
Venue: TOBB University of Economics & Technology, Söğütözü Mahallesi, Söğütözü Cd. No:43, 06560 Ankara
Theme: Putting Grammar in its Place: alternative curricular approaches
The question of the role in grammar seems to be a perennial problem for curriculum developers. It is hard to find the balance between allowing it to dominate the curriculum and the danger of completely ignoring it. Learners (and often we as teachers) often perceive learning grammar as a matter of completing closed answer gap-fill or multiple choice questions; rather than more productive tasks.
- How should we be approaching grammar in our curricula at different levels?
- How can we best cover language items which are lacking from course-books?
- How can we best integrate language development into the four skills?
- How can we best identify our learners’ needs in terms of grammatical structures?
- Which grammatical features should we be prioritising in order to best prepare our learners for their academic studies in English?
- Is grammar more than just gap-fills?
This FOCI event will explore the challenges facing us as curriculum developers when it comes to the question of grammar. Participants will share the different approaches and experiences of grammar in the curricula of different institutions.
The forum will take an informal and hands-on approach to the practical “nitty-gritty” of curriculum work aiming to complement the formal presentation of papers or workshops to be found at other professional gatherings such as conferences, seminars and workshops. It is intended that participants will come away from the Forum with concrete examples of how other institutions have responded to the challenges raised by the theme. This will involve whole-group discussion and smaller groups focusing on particular areas who will then present to the whole group. The topics for the smaller focus groups’ discussion will be decided from suggestions made by participants on the registration form.
• In order to ensure efficient and focused discussion and an informal atmosphere, places are limited to ONE representative from each institution. We hope that you will understand the necessity for this.
• The representative should be a member of a syllabus or curriculum team, or other teacher who is actively involved in curricular development, rather than an administrator.
• If interest exceeds capacity, places are allocated randomly from applications received by the closing date, maintaining a range of different types of university and geographical spread in order to ensure the widest variety of perspectives.
• There is no fee. Refreshments and lunch are provided free of charge.
• The language of the forum is English.
• The deadline for registration is Friday 6th October 2017.
For enquiries contact: email@example.com
To register: The deadline for registration is Friday 6th October 2017. Click here to register.
Transport: To be announced
Accommodation: Unfortunately we are not able to provide accommodation.