FORUM ON CURRICULAR ISSUES
FOCI III @ Istanbul Aydın University
Developing a curriculum that fosters independent learner competencies
Date: Friday 13th May 2011
Venue: İstanbul Aydın University (Bahçelievler Campus)
In May 2010 the Curriculum Team of Sabancı University School of Languages set up a forum for representatives from a range of universities in Turkey and North Cyprus to come together to discuss curriculum issues in university foundation EAP programmes preparing learners for their undergraduate studies in English. The FOCI project has now become a regular event to be held twice a year in collaboration with different host institutions. We are pleased to announce that FOCI III will be organised in collaboration with İstanbul Aydın University Preparatory School.
AIMS OF THE FORUM
To provide an opportunity for representatives from a range of foundation EAP programmes in different state, foundation and private universities within the Turkish context to come together in order to:
• discuss issues of concern in the areas of needs analysis, syllabus writing, implementation, and programme evaluation;
• share experiences and ideas relevant to curricular issues from their diverse contexts;
• raise mutual awareness of the activities and approaches to curriculum issues in other programmes;
• build relationships and links between the curriculum teams in different institutions.
EXPECTED OUTCOME FOR FOCI III
The forum will take an informal and hands-on approach to the practical “nitty-gritty” of curriculum work aiming to complement the formal presentation of papers or workshops to be found at other professional gatherings such as conferences, seminars and workshops.
It is intended that participants will come away from the Forum with concrete examples of how other institutions have responded to the challenge of developing a curriculum to foster independent learning through learner and teacher autonomy and through the integration of technology into the implementation of the curriculum.
This will involve whole-group discussion and smaller groups focusing on particular areas who will then feedback to the whole group. The topics of the focus group will be decided from suggestions made by participants on the registration form.
Any university providing EAP programmes to prepare students for their undergraduate studies in Turkey or Northern Cyprus is invited to send one representative: a member of a syllabus or curriculum team, or other teacher who is involved in curricular development.
• In order to ensure efficient and focused discussion and an informal atmosphere, places are limited to one representative from each institution.
• If interest exceeds capacity, places will be allocated randomly from applications received by the closing date, while ensuring a range of different types of university and geographical spread in order to ensure the widest variety of perspectives.
• There is no fee and refreshments and lunch will be provided free of charge.
• The language of the forum will be English
• The deadline for registration is 18th March, 2011.
To register: use this link
For inquiries contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Campus location: Adnan Kahveci Bulvari No:78, Bahçelievler, ISTANBUL (Website)
Unfortunately we are unable to provide accommodation. The following are hotels close to the campus:
|The Green Park Hotel / Merter||Radisson Conference & Airport Hotel|
|e-mail: email@example.com||e-mail: merve.ocal@Radissonblu.com|
|Contact Person: İbrahim Akova||Contact Person: Merve Öcal|
|Address: Nazim Erten Sok. No.:13 Merter / Istanbul||Address: E5 Karayolu 34295 Sefakoy / Istanbul|
|Tel.: (+90) 212 507 73 73 Fax: (+90) 212 642 44 44||Tel.: (+90) 212 411 38 38 Fax: (+90) 212 425 73 65|
|web: http://www.thegreenpark.com||web: http://www.radissonsas.com, istanbul.radissonsas.com|
|Distance to the campus: 3 km||Distance to the campus: 3 km|
|Adela Hotel||Bahcelievler Öğretmenevi|
|e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com||e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Contact Person: Mehtap Oğurlu / Gamze Öcal||Address: Talatpasa Caddesi No:38/6 Bahcelievler / Istanbul|
|Address: Londra Asfalti No.:38 Sirinevler / Istanbul||Tel.: (+90) 212 502 24 11|
|Tel.: (+90) 212 503 31 33 Fax: (+90) 212 503 42 72||Fax: (+90) 212 555 24 11|
|web: http://www.adelahotel.com.tr||web: http://www.bahcelievlerabidinpakogretmenevi.com.tr|
|Distance to the campus: 2 km||Distance to the campus: 1 km|